The Southern Jewish Historical Society is supported entirely by membership dues, grants, and private contributions. Funds raised by SJHS are used to underwrite our annual conference, our quarterly newsletter and annual journal, and the grants we award for academic research and archival work. The Society is run by volunteers, with little office overhead. We welcome contributions large and small to support the following SJHS operations (available through the drop-down menu below):
- General Operations: Funds donated to the SJHS help to provide for the general operations of the Society, including Conferences, which are held in a different southern city each autumn; Grants, which help the SJHS continue to provide funding to researchers and others who choose to promote Southern Jewish history; Southern Jewish History, our highly respected academic journal, has been published annually since 1998; and professionalization, which we are undertaking to ensure that your funds are properly administered and that your membership is properly recognized.
- 50th Anniversary Fund: These funds will be used for our upcoming 50th anniversary in the year 2026.
- Langston Archival Grants: The funds are used on a yearly basis to provide grants for scholars and others who will need the funds to do research in archives about Southern Jewish history.
- Bauman Journal Fund: The funds are separated out and sent to our endowment, held at the Richmond Jewish Foundation. Proceeds from income and interest are used to help provide funding to support the work of the editorial staff of Southern Jewish History, including printing costs.
- SJHS General Endowment Fund: Funds donated to the SJHS endowment will be sent to our account at the Richmond Jewish Foundation. Funds earned from the income and interest in the general endowment will be used to support all of the activities of the SJHS and are not restricted to any specific purpose.
- Janice Rothschild Blumberg Lecture Series: The Blumberg Lecture funds are separated out and sent to our endowment, held at the Richmond Jewish Foundation. Proceeds from income and interest are used for a yearly lecture held in conjunction with The Breman Museum in Atlanta, Georgia.
If you would like to make a donation to the Southern Jewish Historical Society, please use the form below OR send your tax-deductible contribution to:
The Southern Jewish Historical Society
PO Box 71601
Marietta, GA 30007-1601
If you would like to give another way (securities, estate planning, payroll deduction, pledge), or to discuss how you can support the Society, please contact our President, Josh Parshall via E-mail.
At the 2023 SJHS annual meeting, our members approved a bylaws change that restructured membership categories and voted to increase dues for the first time in more than a decade. The form below reflects these changes. Please select both a membership TYPE and LEVEL. For example, a couple who want a joint membership and would like to make an additional $250 contribution would select 'Household' for their membership type and 'Cedar' for their membership level.